In conjunction with GERA, the various residents groups emerging across the municipality are joining together and organising a petition to Council as follows
“Request GE Council to review its current planning scheme (incl a public consultation process as part of that review) & seek amendments to the planning scheme as a result of that review.”
To sign the petition
- Electronically, Glen Eira Petition – Change.org or
- Manually, email firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be forwarded to you. Return completed petitions to: GERA, P.O. Box 212, Elsternwick 3185
This petition arises from Council’s August, 2013 Planning Zone Implementation, which the then Mayor (Jamie Hyams) described as being ”the biggest single planning change in Glen Eira’s history”
- yet was undertaken without any community consultation (“extensive” consultation having occurred 3 years prior, i.e. 2010), and
- was retrospectively approved by all current Glen Eira Councillors on 13/8/2013 (with gazettal, ie. legal enactment, expected on 15/8/2013). Glen Eira’s official Zone Implementation media release is dated 5/8/2013.
Under the Planning and Environment Act, 1987, all Councils are required to review their Planning Scheme every 4 years. While it may be argued Glen Eira’s zone implementation constituted a review, that review did not involve the community.
Four years on from the last Planning Scheme review that involved community consultation and 12 months on from the zone implementation, there is broad and growing dissatisfaction with Glen Eira’s zone implementation. GERA believes that the petition’s request for a planning scheme review, which includes community consultation is
- fair and reasonable
- in-line with Council’s commitment to actively engage the community in its decision making processes. (Community Engagement Strategy 2014)
GERA, therefore, both supports the petition and urges residents to also support the petition.