Save Glen Eira residents group is holding a rally this coming Sunday.
This recently formed group is actively advocating for
- genuine community consultation
- permanent height controls for all main road shopping strips
- protection of our neighbourhoods
Needles to say, GERA encourages our members and readers to support this group by attending the Rally.
Rally and SGE contact details appear below.
Well, it’s AGM time again. We hope residents will continue to show their support by attending our AGM.
As always we promise to keep the formalities short to take full advantage of our Guest Speaker – Clifford Hayes, MLC – Southern Metropolitan (Sustainable Australia).
The topics for discussion are particularly relevant to Glen Eira. Over the past year, residents and GERA have been expressing their concerns to Council re
- Over-development of Glen Eira, lack of height limits, traffic and parking issues
- Protection of trees and lack of green areas
- Lack of policy to protect heritage and neighbourhood character
- VCAT issues
- Council’s lack of real community consultation
Clifford’s past experience with Bayside Council together with his current MLC role and legislative changes will enable him to provide valuable insight into best way forward for residents wishing to promote much needed change in Glen Eira.
Congratulations to the Stop the Elsternwick Towers (STET) group for yesterday’s well attended (hundreds) rally.
Amid existing, and under construction, high density dwellings surrounded by heritage areas, residents gathered to show their support for the Elsternwick Village’s vision statement – ie. “a vibrant cultural and entertainment precinct, which embraces its historic character and identity”.
Their message came through loud and clear
- the 10 & 14 stories Woolworths redevelopment of ABC Selwyn Street site is both inappropriate and excessive, and
- Glen Eira Council’s inability to complete in less than 6 years what it originally proposed to do in 1 year – ie undertake proper planning via Structure Planning – was unacceptable to residents.
We have been requested to advise our readers of the following rally.
To learn more about the Rally and the Elsternwick Towers redevelopment (on the former ABC Administration site) please access the Stop the Elsternwick Towers group on Facebook
Unfortunately we have encountered a glitch which we are working to over come.
The post will appear as soon as the glitch is overcome.
Posted in Tree Protection, Tree Register
Tagged Climate Change, GERA, Glen Eira, Glen Eira City Council, Glen Eira Council, Sustainability, tree protection, Tree Register, Trees, Urban Heat Islands